And luck is with Denmark in these days – warm weather, sunny all over – and already 20 degrees by 10 in the morning – really interfearing with my training…but what the h…it is too good to complain – I love it.
Well, as it happened I didn’t stay completely away from my sewing project. Getting back from a day outside with all those focused marathoners it just didn’t sit right with me to just go flat on the lounger.
So I digged out some fabrics I’ve had earmarked for skirts since I bought them – and yes as with a lot of my fabric it was – ages ago. But never mind I plan on putting them to good use now.
I know I should try to finish Jacket No. 2 – but as I knew I probably would.- I got a bit tired of making two jackets in a row. And although the second jacket is almost finished – only missing buttonholes and buttons – it for now is hanging… waiting. I hate buttonholes – not because I’m not good at them – I am…they’re just so incredibly boring to make. And I haven’t found any good buttons that’ll fit it either…so for now…back to a more summerlike thing – the making and adding to Jane’s summer wardrope – flowery skirts.
All of them with each their own kind of floral pattern. All three are cotton. And even though it is more or less the same pattern I’ll be using for all three – they’ll come out very different because of the different looks the present.
I decided to start with the green on. The green is cotton with print – a bit stiff at the get-go but that’ll vanish with wear. And I kind of like it to be a bit stiff – it will make the pleats in the back stand out more.
The pattern in itself is very simple – just a basic a-line skirt with a waist band. I extended the width of the skirt to allow for pleats in the back. I like the slight tornure it gives – especially with the stiffness of the fabric.
A trip through the overlocker for the side and lower seams – not the to ones – no need as they’ll be hidden in the waistband anyway. No need to invite bulkyness to the stomach area – I’ve got that covered all by myself.
As I wanted to make back pleats I went for an opening in the side seam so the zipperarea wouldn’t mess with the tornure. The pleats weren’t measured just made as I saw fit – they are about 1,5 cm i width. I sew in the zipper with a visible double seam. Added a hook/eye at the top – hemmed the bottom – and then there was skirt.
Nothing much to it – but still a nice little summer skirt suitable for all kinds occations. Like a trip to a spot of grass with a friend and some soft drinks…