A friend of mine had decided to go all in on her birthday – no arguements here. Her her husband and some friends of his had ‘burger night’ and sat the kids – making it possible for her to go out and paint the town…something she haven’t done in years. A shame she is really good at it :-).
Well, she invited me and some other girls to a very good sushi restaurant and later we went for fancy drinks. Already here – good evening recipe. The restaurant is situated on top of Copenhagen – so to speak. It is on the top of a very tall building housing the Tivoli Hotel – so very nice view all around. We said in the ‘asian’-side – meaning no shoes – but to accomodate that no everybody can sit on the floor and eat properly – they’ve mades holes in the floor for the tables and backs, a pillow and arm rests long side the tables making it up for chairs.
We had the best table possible – about 3-4 feet from the window making the view and later the sunset fill up all the way through dinner. Very nice. Decision was we had to come back just to try and sit out on the terrace – to enjoy the view with more sushi and cool white wine.
It wasn’t just dinner we went all out on – also dress up. All in means all in all the way. My friend had bought a fantastisk 50s style dress from a little local shop. This gorgeous thing the pattern and colour made up of dark red velvet like roses on a black setting. Looked so good on her.
I of course decided to make my dress for the evening myself – need to…and this was a Perfect excuse. I went for an old Butterick pattern. I originally made one of these years ago. I was a great dress – but it being a bit poopy and me being poofy back then – it just added up to a little too much poof. But with the extra weight gone I decided to give the pattern a go again.
The fabric chosen is a satin weaved cotton – weaved in stripes of shine and dull – in a lovely dark red tone. Very fancy. It is actually a pretty simple dress. Single layered 4-part skirt – just your basis all round, skirt lining with a gathered 30-35 cm tulle band set a little over halft way up the skirt lining.
And more tulle – I think the ruffle is made up of about 8 or 10 panels 35cm x 100cm – give or take.
A doubled up top front part – that you just fold in over a strap from the back top part after the dress has been put together and you’ve finished setting the zipper – stitch lightly in place. And there you go – a dress.
I think the thing that took the longest was to gather the tulle and set it on the lining. So all in all a very easy dress. Also I hardly had to adjyst anything. Only the waist to chest ratio is never quite right – I always have to take it in. It’s not that I’m small in the chest-department – but loosing weight have taken of some substantial weight there also – a thing that never happened before when loosing weight.
So my “perfect” 1950s measurement ratio is gone. Bye bye…well at least for the top part. The bottom part is still perfect ratio – meaning no pants will fit me in todays fashion. And going for the 40s and 50s fashion with the hight waist – that I absolutely adore – is just a ‘No Go’ – high waisted pants just make me even shorter than I am. And I really can’t afford that….being only 5,2…
And hopefully this will be the last horrible show the clothes pics – I’ve finally found a dressform living up to my picky standarts. Just need to find the time to pick it up…so maybe there’ll be a few more horrible pics…but I hope not.